Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Little Bit of Wakin On A Pretty Day—Kurt Vile

One of the fun things about music is that it is such a provider of joy and adulation, that to be able to take a song that you love from an artist you admire and somehow make it your own is perhaps one of the most rewarding things about it.

Many of us will find ourselves with a song stuck in our head. We may hum the tune, whistle it while we work, sing along as we drive along the road to wherever we may be headed, and perhaps in the back of our mind the song is ours. We are the rock star.

Of course, I dabble in a little bit of my own original stuff. Certainly my album Pink Flamingoes is an example of that. Just me doing my own thing musically, not caring if there is any real structure to it, and certainly not trying to get rich or famous from it.

Not that that would be a possibility mind you. But there are enough people who enjoy what I do that it makes it all worth it in the end.

But back to songs we love from artists we admire. I have talked much on here about one artist in particular who strikes my fancy, and is always a pleasure to make new discoveries with. That artist would be Kurt Vile, and if you've never had a chance to listen to what he does, you are surely missing out.

One song in particular that I like from him is Pretty Pimpin, and it happens to be...well, pretty pimping.

But there's another song that also made quite an impression on me, enough so that I wanted to try to do that song my own justice. Did I accomplish it? Probably not. But that's not the point. The point is that his song Wakin on a Pretty Day just happened to strike a chord with me, and so I wanted to do a little something with it.

It's fun to sing and it's fun to strum, and so I just had to put my own touch onto it.

Again, did I do it any justice? Probably not. I'm no Kurt Vile, and to an extent I am no musician either. But even more fun is that we live in a time when we can share with the masses whatever we want, and again as well...

There are actually some folks out there who appreciate that. Especially the fans. Often times my own handful of fans will ask me to share some or another cover, and this just happens to be one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment